Thursday 2 February 2023

2023

 Happy (late) New Year!

I am still cross stitching, but just terrible at blogging.  I started a new project for my husband.  He asked me to stitch something to hang on the wall that isn’t winter themed because I already have a winter wall hanging (Snowman Wisdom) and he wants to replace it during the other seasons of the year.  So I looked through my computer files and thought flowers would be nice to look at throughout the other parts of the year.  You can find the free monthly flowers by Ellen Maurer-Stroh on her website.

This is what the flowers look like (I borrowed these images from her website. 

















I plan on doing 2 columns of 6 flowers. This is the butterfly fabric I will be using in between each square. I couldn’t find one with brown, but I think it will be fine with the flowers.













The pattern calls for DMC 3864 for the square borders (outside and inside), but I used DMC 3862 (a bit darker) for the outside double border and the DMC 3864 for the inside square border instead.

January - Carnations (Nov 14-23, 2022)

















May - Lily of the valley (Dec 2, 2022 - Jan 5, 2023)

















February - Violets (Jan 5-13, 2023)
















March - Daffodils (Jan 15-19, 2023).  This is the only pattern so far that has backstitching.

















April - Sweet Peas (Jan 19-27, 2023)
















June - Wild Rose (Jan 27 - Feb 1). I added the backstitching because I thought it needed it. Might go back and add to the other flowers, but not sure yet.
















I am thinking of participating in the 2023 Botanical Blackwork SAL at The Steady Thread. I have joined their Facebook page and am watching everyone else to see if I want to commit to the project.  It is 47 weeks long.  There are 2 versions (square and hexagon) with different border options to make the project more personal for everyone.  I’m planning mine out first on my computer to see which border and extra items to add to it in case I want to join in.  It won’t take long to catch up on blackwork.



3 comments:

  1. Great work! Personally I think the flowers look better with backstitching but they're also OK without. Good luck with deciding, and stitching the remaining ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely!! I love backstitch, I just don't like stitching it, LOl! I have always wanted/planned/dreamed of doing this flower series. I love seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely series and will look great as a wall hanging. I've been collecting that blackwork series too, I think it's the nicest one out of the ones I have seen. There are several on the go at the moment.

    ReplyDelete