Monday 16 November 2020

SYOA - Chapter 6 - Patronus

Chapter 6 is all about producing a Patronus and you have a choice of 3 backgrounds,  
  • Room of Requirement where Harry taught the DA club how to produce their patronus.
  • The Great Hall where everyone took their OWLs and got to produce their patronus.
  • Outside on the castle grounds where students might be practicing spells and produced their patronus.

I took a test online and it said my Patronus is a Horse.  I wasn’t surprised because my Chinese Zodiac animal is also a horse.  I don’t mind horses, but I don’t love them.  I really wanted a turtle because we had a red-eared slider turtle named Frodo for 12 years.  She passed away in March 2018.  To me a Patronus is supposed to protect you, unfortunately a pet turtle is very small, ours was 12” in diameter.  I decided to use a sea turtle because they can be quite large.  Stewart designed a lot of animals (horse, dog, cat, birds, hedgehog, rabbit, otter, Stag, fox, wolf) from the books and movies, but no turtles.  So of course I had to design my own.

I chose The Great Hall because it has the House Points Counter which I really liked.  I looked online for photos from the movies and tried to give the room more details like the wainscotting along the back wall which runs under the window and the house points counter.  I moved the window, door, wall sconces and points counter up higher to make room for the wainscotting.  I also thought there should be a dementor outside the window, this will givie the students a reason to learn how to produce a  patronus.

I started this on Wednesday night last week.  Here is my progress so far. Please excuse the strings, I was too lazy to pull them all to the back before taking a photo.  I am very happy with how much I accomplished.  I’m using a variegated terra cottas for the brick wall, hopefully it looks better after I add the grout and backstitch the house points counter cylinders.  My son Jaspar thought it should have a wand producing the patronus.  I think it is a great touch.



2 comments:

  1. I love how you've interpreted this room to really make it your own, especially with your own patronus. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in blogland for a while, I'm amazed at how much you have done (I read back a few posts). I am in awe of your skill at designing this project, such detail in each section. I love your turtle and although most unpleasant I agree with the Dementor at the window. Jasper's wand it the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete