Saturday 11 January 2020

UFO's

I’m a one at a time stitcher most of the time.  I will sometimes have a huge project and a very small project going at the same time.  In the past, I have also put a project aside to work on something that has a deadline.  I have always tried to finish every project that I start, but I do have 2 that I put in the UFO pile over the years.

UFO 1 (my oldest)
Cabin Fever -  Started sometime in 2009.
I have already decided that I will never finish this project.  I bought it as a kit at Michael's.  I don't usually buy kits.  I should have used my own fabric, because I prefer 28ct evenweave and this kit has 16ct or 18ct aida.
Here is a photo from the last time I stitched on it August 2009.
Last year, I found a puzzle of the same picture/name I bought it right away.  After all these years, I will enjoy building the puzzle more than stitching it.








UFO 2
Plaid Trousers - Started December 20, 2012

The project is being stitched on 28ct light blue evenweave, and I'm using Caron's Watercolour called Twinkle.

I stopped working on this project because I disliked the chart/pattern.  It is supposed to look like handwriting, so every letter looks different.  I like things uniform and symmetrical, so it bothered me trying to stitch the pattern.  I tried to rework each letter as I was stitching, but it got confusing and wasn't centered on the fabric.  I pulled out almost every stitch I put in, so I put it aside in 2013.  




This is what it looked like in 2013 when I last worked on it.


Should I continue?  
Should I frog and start over?  
Should I rework the pattern in Pattern Maker by HobbyWare (cross stitch program I use on my PC). 

Every year I think about finishing it, but never get around to it.  Well this year, I made a decision.  I really want to finish it this year, so this week I reworked the pattern in Pattern Maker by HobbyWare. I'm only stitching the poem words not the decorations around it.  I will try to find some plaid golf pants (stickers or scrapbook paper) to decorate the mat around the cross stitch when I frame it.  




4 comments:

  1. I think we all have those UFO's, I have a Heaven and Earth that I am 7+++ pages into. However I know I will never stitch on it again. Yet I just can't bring myself to rehome it yet. I think your plans for the plaid trousers piece sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't enjoy it don't work on it. Stitching is supposed to make us happy. So many other patterns out there I bet you would love to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult giving up something you have started but I agree with Katie, no use stitching something that doesn't make you feel happy. Good luck with your reworked handwriting, and don't forget to show the puzzle when you've finished it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of those tucked away, I'd like to think I'll take them out again but who knows!
    Maybe you could only do a portion of the cabin piece, leaving out some of the forest?

    ReplyDelete