Tuesday 3 March 2020

SYOA - Chapter 2 - Quidditch

If you are interested in these patterns, you can get them at http://cunningcrossstitch.blogspot.com/p/syoa-letters-from-hogwarts.html.   There is also a Facebook group which you can join to get alternative patterns, discuss the project and get inspired from seeing what other stitcher’s have changed in their project.

Chapter 2 was released on Sunday, March 1.  It is a smaller area at the bottom of the project.  I have decided not to stitch anything at the top or bottom until all 6 chapters have been released (which is every other month).  I will be stitching the castle (alternative pattern with more detail), the train and the 4 coloured swirls to represent the house colours.  Other than that, I have lots of time to find other items to add to the top and bottom and I won’t have to worry about duplicating any items.

This chapter is all about Quidditch, specifically what position you would play if you were on the Quidditch house team.  For those who are not Harry Potter fans, there are 4 positions on the team.  I don’t have a favourite position, so I took the online quiz and found out I’m a Chaser.  Here are the 4 patterns to choose from.

The Keeper is the goalie, who has to protect the 3 big rings.

The Chaser is the one who scores by getting this big red ball called the quarrel into one of the 3 rings.

The Beaters use a club to hit the brown balls (x2) at the other players to stop them from scoring a goal.

The Seeker (like Harry Potter) chases a very small ball called the golden snitch.  The seeker who catches the golden snitch gets 100 points for their team.
I really liked all 4 choices and wanted to combine them all into this space.  Other stitchers on the Facebook group are doing similar things.  Here is what I will be stitching.  I wanted 2 bludgers & clubs because that is what is used in the real game in the movies.  I also created a smaller golden snitch and redesigned the Hufflepuff shirt (with my own badger and crest).  As you can see this layout goes below the area and would interfere with the letters at the bottom (if I had stitched them already, which I have not).  I have lots of fabric to do whatever I choose to with the top and bottom.




Where the 3 pink dots are you get to stitch a shirt to go with the position.  All the shirts are the same but they have a letter to represent the position on the team.  Keeper (K on his shirt), Seeker (S), Chaser (C) and Beater (B).  I’m stitching the Hufflepuff shirt because in Chapter 1 I chose Hufflepuff as my house.  I guess if you wanted to represent all 4 houses in the project you could choose a different house shirt for this chapter.


Here are 6 shirt designs I came up with after looking at all the Hufflepuff shirts online.  The bottom one is the original without a letter in the middle.

 Sorry for overloading your brain with so much information, but I thought this might help other stitchers.  For all the Harry Potter fans it is nice to see the choices offered throughout the project.  Or for stitchers still thinking about joining the SAL, there are lots of people still waiting for their fabric to arrive.  Or you can always collect the patterns for a future project.  Let me know what you think of Chapter 2.  It is always nice to talk to other Harry Potter fans.









4 comments:

  1. It was fun reading about your choices and why you are doing what you're doing. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given in! I've gone to the blog and downloaded the charts to date! There is no way I can stitch them this year, or probably any time soon but I might have a space in 2027 for them!
    I like your idea of combining all the Quidditch items in one chapter, but then I like all the original options too. I don't think you can really go wrong with any combination, that's the beauty of this SYOA. Now looking forward to watching your version of chapter 2 come together week by week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing all the options, I did enjoy seeing them.
    I'd choose between the Keeper and the Seeker designs but I would add the shirt in the top left corner. I'm a Ravenclaw myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my daughter and i are stitching the SYOA, too - but neither of us have access to Facebook, so i didn't k know that there is a more detailed castle chart ... she is working on Hogwarts and i am working on Chapter 1 ... her castle looks more like two Sphinx(es) than Hogwarts ... do you know it the alternate chart is anywhere other than Facebook?

    i really like your alternate jersey\shirt ideas - and the idea of waiting to stitch the too and bottom, too, so thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete